June 2022 BOE Meeting Minutes
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on June 13, 2022, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Fanta called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. He announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Duane Fanta, Greg Kuhlman, Amy Borgmann, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Hanefeldt moved to excuse Tauber. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 4-0. Motion Carried.
Others Present: Superintendent Weber, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 4-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Weber shared that the custodian we recently hired did not work out and that we are advertising the position again. The new HVAC system is on the roof and getting hooked up. Mr. Weber and Mr. Nilson attended high reliability school training at the ESU. Some staff members attended threat assessment training. School safety information will be shared with parents when school starts. As of right now it appears that there will no longer be free meals for all students this year.
- Principal Nilson that the pole vault pit was ordered and new wall mats for the gym. Staff professional development for 22-23 is being planned. Cognia has revamped their school improvement review process. Our next review will take place in the fall of 2024.
- There were no president’s or committee reports.
- A thank you note was received from Emma Vortherms for the McDowell Trust.
Kuhlman moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financial reports and bills and the May board minutes. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- Borgmann moved to approve the resignation of Matt Fritz from his position on the Creighton school board. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- Two candidates submitted letters of interest to be a school board member. Josh Key and Erik Burns were both asked the same four questions in a round robin format. The board thanked all the applicants for their interest. Kuhlman moved to appoint Erik Burns to fulfill the open position on the Creighton school board vacancy for the remainder of the term. Fanta seconded the motion. RCV: 4-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- The administration recommends Amber Endress for the industrial tech position. Borgmann moved to hire Amber Endress as the industrial tech teacher for the 2022-2023 school year. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- Pro Track and Tennis submitted the only bid to be opened on Wednesday at the track bid opening. The bid listed a couple of options: Both Base bids #1 and #2 included removing the existing structure and hauling off site and installing ½ inch poly base mat. Base bid #1 also included a polyurethan structural spray system protection to help it last longer. An option #1 to do armor crack repair to the base could be added to either option. After some discussion, Hanefeldt moved to accept the proposed bid from Pro Track and Tennis for base bid one including option #1. Seconded by Burns. RCV: 5-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried. We will make sure that this price is locked in for next summer.
- Discussion was held on the area where the bathrooms used to be behind the football bleachers. Some options discussed were building a new bathroom, tiling a line to keep the water from running to the track, or pouring some cement to funnel the water away and/or make a path to the current bathrooms to make it easier for people to get to them. The board asked Superintendent Weber to get an estimate to see what it would cost to put some cement back there.
- After surveying parents, we found that most would like to have parent teacher conferences in the spring as well. Proposed changes to the 2022-2023 school calendar are no school on March 2 for parent teacher conferences and professional development and no school September 16 for professional development. Borgmann moved to approve the school calendar with the proposed changes. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- The annual review of policies 504.20 (Bullying Prevention) and 504.18 (Harassment) were done. Hanefeldt moved to approve policies 504.20 and 504.18 with no changes. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- The annual review of policy 1005.03 (Parental and Family Involvement) was done. The floor was opened for any public comment. There was none. Kuhlman moved to approve policy 1005.03 as presented. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- After review, Kuhlman moved to approve policy 402.15 (Staff Conduct with Student Policy) with no changes. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- Policy 504.19, Student Fees, was opened to the public for comments. There were no comments from the public. Hanefeldt moved to approve the review of Student Fee Policy 504.19 with no changes. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried.
- There are no upcoming board member conferences.
At 8:16 p.m., Borgmann moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 5-0. Tauber excused. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, July 11, 2022, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary