Minutes- July 9, 2018
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on July 9, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Tim Gragert, Greg Kuhlman, Duane Fanta. Dixie Hanefeldt arrived at 7:04. Fanta moved to excuse Farnik, seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried.
Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
The pledge of allegiance was said.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 4-0. Farnik excused. Hanefeldt absent. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
Gragert made a motion to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financial reports, June minutes, and policies 402.09, 403.02, 404.06, 503.08, 503.09, 504.12, 505.03, and 603.01 with the recommended changes. The changes to the policies were all recommended by legal counsel after legislative changes. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson reported on the Google Summit and School Law Seminar conferences that he attended in June. He has received the certificate of accreditation from the Nebraska Department of Education for the 18-19 school year. Interviews will be held in the next week for the cook and the para positions. He is working on next year’s budget.
- President Morrill shared the NASB July update and a list of upcoming NASB workshops. Board members should answer the NASB survey questions this week. Morrill has met with Superintendent Thompson to review his evaluation. She shared the Nebraska School Law Reporter for board members to pass around.
Copies of all reports are available at the office with the official minutes.
Thank you’s were received from Claire Fanta and Noah Lilly for the Erwin McDowell Trust.
- Robert Crockett was present to explain the school’s property and liability insurance to the board. He explained each type of insurance the school has, what the premium cost, and the maximum amount each would pay. Several questions were asked by the board. The policy for 2018-2019 should be prepared by the August meeting.
- Schools are now required to provide reading assessments to kindergarten through third grade students three times a year. Supplemental reading intervention programs will be provided to help insure that all students are reading at a third grade level by the end of third grade. Gragert moved to approve policy 604.14, Reading Instruction and Improvement, and to waive the second reading. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- In policy 1005.12, Title 1 Parent and Family Member Engagement, the words no child left behind were changed to every student succeeds act ESSA. Fanta moved to approve policy 1005.12 and to waive the second reading. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- President Morrill opened the floor for public comment to fulfill the requirements of State Statute 79-530 thru 79-533. There was no public comment. The Parental Involvement Policy 1005.03 was reviewed and the recommendation from the committee and Superintendent Thompson was to reaffirm the policy as it is written. Hanefeldt moved to reaffirm the current Parental Involvement Policy. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- President Morrill opened the floor for public comment in fulfillment of State Statute 79-2,134. There was no public comment. Minor changes were made to policy 504.19, Student Fees. Superintendent Thompson created a sheet listing possible school fees to attach to the policy. The addition of this policy allowed for the costs of meals, and the sections labeled other items, iPad insurance fee, driver’s education, graduation items, and prom to be deleted as they are covered in the list. Fanta moved to approve policy 504.19, Student Fees, with the proposed revisions and to correct the cost of adult lunches to $3.80 from $2.40. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- Policies 504.18 and 504.18E1, Harassment by Students and the Harassment Complaint Form, were reviewed. Fanta moved to approve policies 504.18 and 504.18E1 as presented. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- Gragert moved to approve policy 304.03 (Handbooks and Directives) as presented. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- President Morrill handed out packets to each board member with the superintendent evaluation inside. She created a summary sheet of the responses she received from the board members on Superintendent Thompson’s evaluation. After reviewing the sheet, she shared a conclusions sheet that she had created after discussing the evaluation with Superintendent Thompson. The December 2017 goals were reviewed. Goals were then re-evaluated for the 18-19 school year and timelines were created for each goal. The board agreed that a good way for Superintendent Thompson to communicate them was through email as needed.
- There were currently no NASB workshops to act on.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:51 p.m., President Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, August 13, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary