Minutes- October 12, 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on October 12, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Matt Fritz, Greg Kuhlman, Amy Borgmann, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson reported that the last payment on the roof will be made tonight and that the warranty began September 18. The Title IX policy has been distributed to all staff to read. The safety committee will meet in the near future. They will have to attend some virtual training as the state is working on a safety plan template for all schools statewide so that every plan will have some consistency. Superintendent Thompson has been working with the policy committee on updating policies and ensuring all copies, electronic or hard copy, are the current approved copies. Total enrollment for 20-21 is 279 students. Creighton will follow the NSAA post season mask mandate for our indoor activities.
- Principal Nilson reported that fall sports postseasons begin soon. Teachers have been doing a great job balancing instruction for kids who are in school with those who are quarantined. MAPS testing is being completed and the seniors all took the ACT last week. The school works with the health department to determine when students and staff can come back to school after begin quarantined or exposed to COVID.
- President Morrill shared information about upcoming NASB conferences and webinars. Upcoming committee work was also reviewed.
- There were no committee reports or correspondence.
Morrill asked to pull the R & K Motor bill from the consent agenda. Fritz moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financials, September 14th minutes, and the final payment on the roof. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Fanta moved to pay the R & K Motor bill. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Morrill abstained. Motion Carried.
- Fritz moved to approve Fanta as Creighton’s delegate for the Virtual NASB Delegate Assembly on November 13, with Morrill as the alternate. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The Annual Nebraska School Board Association Conference will be held November 18-20. Fanta moved to approve the registrations for attendance for Fritz, Borgmann and Morrill. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 7:31 p.m., Morrill moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, November 9, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary