Minutes- December 7, 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on December 7, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Matt Fritz, Greg Kuhlman, Amy Borgmann, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson shared information on several virtual sessions that he viewed from the state NASB conference. The safety committee will attend a two day training in April. He explained the Governors new executive order on public meetings requirements.
- Principal Nilson shared that the one act play would be competing at state on Thursday. Winter sports kicked off last week. NSCAS tests will still be taken this year but the scores will only be shared locally. The scoreboards in the gym may need to be replaced. They have been having issues and parts are not available for them anymore.
- There was no president’s report as the topics are all later in the agenda.
- There were no committee reports.
- There was no correspondence.
Fanta asked to pull the R & K Motor bill from the consent agenda. Fanta moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financials, November 9th and 16th minutes, superintendent’s evaluation and purchase of the new math series, with exception of the R & K bill. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Fritz moved to pay the R & K Motor bill. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Morrill abstained. Motion Carried.
- The 2019-2020 school audit was distributed. Superintendent Thompson shared that we dropped $200,000 from last year. The board will review the audit and approve at the January meeting.
- There are no upcoming NASB/NCRSA conferences.
- Robert Hanger and Mark Norvell from the NRCSA met with the board to work on the superintendent search process. The agreed to move the deadline to apply back to December 17th. Finalists will be picked on January 4th and interviews will be conducted on January 9th. Mark reviewed the district strengths, weaknesses, and important qualities that the staff and community interview committees had named. The logistics and schedule for the interview day were discussed.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:19 p.m., Morrill moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, January 11, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary