Minutes, July 11, 2016
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on July 11, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President D. Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Members present: Dan Morrill, Tim Gragert, Kay Morrill, Colleen Farnik, Dixie Hanefeldt, and Gene Suhr.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
D. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Minutes of the June 13, 2016 Meeting: Farnik moved to approve the board minutes from last month as written, seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The Financial Reports were reviewed. District expenses: $467,784.77. Gragert moved to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Suhr. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
1. Welcome the Patrons & Visitors: Visitors were welcomed. Jim Fuchtman thanked the board for doing a community survey and then expressed his concerns about the board not being more involved with the budget process. He shared a handout with his concerns.
2. Correspondence: Thank you’s for the McDowell trust were received from Brandon Borgmann, Josh Borgmann, and Shane Asher.
3. Superintendent Report: Superintendent Petersen gave a building update and invited the board to tour the school following the meeting to see what has been completed this summer. She presented a short video on Career Tech Education that featured a Creighton student. A one act sponsor is still needed. She shared the budget timeline for the upcoming year.
4. Principal Report: Principal Nilson shared dates for seventh grade orientation, Ipad checkouts, and times to make schedule changes.
5. Discuss Policy Review: K. Morrill moved to move agenda item G (discuss policy review) to the beginning of the agenda. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The board has been working with Jim Luebbe of NASB to update the policy handbook. The book will constantly be revised as the attorneys send us updates to current policies. The policy committee and board members were given the book to review. Gragert moved to adopt the revised version of the Creighton policy manual to replace existing board policies. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: D. Morrill – yes, Gragert- yes, Farnik – yes, Suhr – yes, K. Morrill – yes, Hanefeldt – abstain. Motion Carried.
6. Discuss and Act on Affordable Care Act and Classified Salaries: The finance committee met and proposed that classified wages start at $10.00 an hour with a graduated salary scale. An offer was also created to meet PPACA requirements. Suhr moved to approve the proposal of starting wages at $10.00 an hour with a graduated scale and offer the qualifying classified staff members health insurance through EHA with a $1,500.00 deductible and no district contribution. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
7. Discuss and Act on ESCO Provider: The buildings and ground committee met with the three ESCO providers who submitted RFQ’s for the heating/air conditioning project in the high school. We are currently working with 360 Energy Engineers on different parts of the project and they have done a very thorough job thus far. Reference checks on them have been very good. Farnik moved to approve the selection of 360 Energy Engineers as our ESCO provider. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
8. Discuss and Act on Lunch Prices – Policy #6116: Superintendent Petersen recommended that lunch prices stay the same for 2016-2017. This year we will have fewer personnel in the kitchen to help reduce costs, and if prices get too high, fewer students eat. We may have to transfer to the lunch fund during the year, but this is very common throughout the state. K. Morrill questioned why we would transfer money and make the taxpayers pay for meals instead of the parents. Gragert moved to approve the lunch prices for 2016-2017 as follows: elementary - $2.45, high school - $2.65, adult - $3.80 and breakfast - $1.90. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
9. Discuss and Act on Second Reading of Policy 402.08, set mileage and expense rate: Approved in policies above.
10. Discuss Personnel and act on Head Cook Position: Jackie Kruse from Osmond will be the new head cook. Suhr moved to ratify the contract of Jackie Kruse as head cook, seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
11. Discuss and Act to Set the August Board Meeting as a time to make a decision concerning cooping junior high sports with Plainview for the 2017-2018 school year: AD Randy Kliment has talked to all of our coaches and due to our current numbers, the general consensus is that the coaches are not interested in pursuing cooping at this time. Discussion was held that more logistics (just as bussing, coaching, practice times, and travel arrangements) need to be figured out prior to making a decision. The board asked the AD to continue to look into this. Discussion also occurred about what happens if we don’t do this now and we need someone in the future. This will be an agenda item again in August.
12. Act to Appoint Superintendent as District Rep for State and Federal Reports: Gragert moved to appoint Superintendent Petersen as the district rep for state and federal reports. Seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The board will hold a budget workshop on August 30th at 7:00 p.m.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:14 p.m., K. Morrill moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, August 8, 2016, at 7:00 p.m. in the high school library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary