Minutes, April 11, 2016
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on April 11, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President D. Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Members present: Dan Morrill, Colleen Farnik, Kay Morrill, Dixie Hanefeldt, and Gene Suhr. Suhr moved to excuse Tim Gragert due to military obligations. Seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Dredge, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
D. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Minutes of the March 14, 2016 Meeting: Farnik moved to approve the March board minutes as written, seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
The Financial Reports were reviewed. District expenses: $363,420.93. Hanefeldt moved to approve the bills and treasurer’s report, seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
1. Welcome the Patrons & Visitors: Visitors were welcomed. There was no public comment.
2. Correspondence: There was no correspondence.
3. Superintendent Report: Superintendent Petersen reported that the school improvement team will be attending the AQuESTT conference in Kearney. Kindergarten round up is on April 15th. A couple of students may need credit recovery classes on APEX this summer. Lunch provider bids will be opened on April 28th.
4. Principal Report: Principal Dredge participated on Plainview’s external visitation team last week and brought back some ideas for CCPS to implement. There will be a Youth Leadership Summit of April 27th for freshman on Substance Abuse Prevention. The Honors Day program will be held on May 3.
5. Discuss Transportation Committee Report: The transportation committee met with Jim Borgmann prior to the meeting and will meet again after. Jim Borgmann had stated that it is very hard to find bus drivers.
6. Discuss Safety Committee Meeting: The minutes of the safety committee meeting were reviewed. Digital citizenship is becoming more and more of a problem among kids, and the school will provide more training on that topic. SAVE (surviving a violent encounter) training will be done next August for staff.
7. Discuss Junior High Cooping Options with Plainview: The administrative teams from Creighton and Plainview met to discuss cooping junior high boys sports next year. Plainview will have low numbers next year and wondered if we would be interested. In the future, we will have classes with low numbers. Superintendent Petersen passed out a handout of what was discussed, and the same sheet was shared with the Plainview BOE that evening. Practices would be held 8th period at alternating practice sites, and parents would be responsible for picking up there students from their original school. Due to low numbers, all of the wrestling would take place in Creighton next year. Discussion was also held on uniforms, scheduling, and coaches. Some concern was shown about us transporting our students over to Plainview if we had higher numbers. The board discussed using a survey to find out opinions, but due to time restraints opted for a special meeting. K. Morrill moved to have a special meeting on April 29 at 7:00 p.m. to discuss junior high cooping options with Plainview. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
8. Discuss Community Outreach Meeting: The committee has revised the survey and shortened it. The board discussed how to distribute the surveys, either by mailing or online. Discussion also occurred on whether you send the surveys to every registered voter in a household or only one per household. The board decided to include an insert stating brief definitions of terms such as unificiation, cooperation, etc and stating the schools listed on number five are schools touching our district. Hanefeldt moved to approve the survey with definitions added to number four and inclusion of why we included the towns we did on number five, and that the survey be sent to every district household and to any parent of a student currently attending the district. Seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
9. Discuss and Act on Building Committee Recommendation: Superintendent Petersen reported that the building committee met and reviewed the information from the different sources and feels very comfortable with 360 Energy Engineers. They require a minimal contingency fee upfront. People currently working with them in O’Neill are very happy with them. They would be the general contractor and make sure that everything is done correctly. They would present a final plan in August for the board to vote on and the project would be completed during the summer of 2017. Suhr moved to hire 360 Energy Engineers, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
10. Discuss and Act on May 6th – Full Day of School: The master calendar has May 6th listed as a full day of school but the teacher’s calendar say it is a 2:00 out. K. Morrill moved to keep May 6th as a full day of school. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
11. Discussion on Professional Development for Board Members: D. Morrill stated in March that board members wanting to attend professional development will need prior approval from the board. We want to encourage development, but also follow policy. In the past, the board had not followed policy. K. Morrill had offered to reimburse the district, but D. Morrill stated that this was not his intention. Superintendent Petersen stated that she will create an annual calendar for the board of NASB professional development. Hanefeldt asked if the board has a budget for this. The current budget has minimal dollars allocated to this, based on previously attended conferences.
12. Discuss and Act on Personnel: Superintendent Petersen offered the instructional technology and 8th grade English position to Kortney Sayers. Kim Lemke will teach seventh grade English. Farnik moved to offer a teaching contract to Kortney Sayers, seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried. Three groups interviewed five candidates for Principal. Superintendent Petersen recommended Ryon Nilson for the 4-12 principal position. Hanefeldt moved to offer the 4-12 principal contract to Ryon Nilson for $85,000 and as a eleven month contract. Suhr seconded the motion. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
13. Act on Summer Title One Staff: K. Morrill moved to offer summer school again this summer with Teresa Kuhl and Kim Lemke each teaching for $1,800. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
14. Act to Offer Summer Driver’s Education: Kyle Kibbie is willing to teach driver’s ed again this summer. Suhr moved to offer driver’s education at a rate of $225 per student. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
15. Act to Ratify Certified Contracts for 2016-2017: We received all of the contracts back. Hanefeldt moved to ratify the certified contracts for the 2016-2017 school year. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
16. Act on 2016-2017 Calendar: May 26 would be a workday, pending make up snowdays on the 2016-2017 calendar. K. Morrill moved to accept the change to the 2016-2017 calendar as proposed. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
17. Act on Resignation(s): Suhr moved to accept the resignation request of the 4-12 principal and thanked her for her work at Creighton. Seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried. Peggy Ebel, Renee Doerr, and Bernita Kruse have also turned in letters of resignation for the end of the year. Miranda Hornback will not be helping with speech or one acts next year.
18. Act on “Winter” Coaching Assignments: After Mr. Nilson’s advancement to principal, Farnik moved to table winter coaching assignments to the May meeting so there was time to find a possible replacement. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
19. Set Personnel Meeting: A personnel meeting will be held on Thursday, April 21st at 6:30 p.m. to discuss classified contracts.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:35 p.m., K. Morrill moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, May 9, 2016, at 7:00 p.m. in the high school library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary