July 2022 BOE Minutes
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on July 11, 2022, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Fanta called the meeting to order at 7:11 p.m. He announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Duane Fanta, Greg Kuhlman, Toni Tauber, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Tauber moved to excuse Borgmann and Burns. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Motion Carried.
Others Present: Superintendent Weber, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Hanefeldt moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Tauber. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Weber shared that LB644 will change the tax request hearing process for most school districts. Any district that raises its tax request asking by over two percent will be required to participate in a joint tax request hearing with any other public entities in the county doing the same. Summer projects are going well, and several new students have enrolled for the upcoming year. Several of the bills this month will be reimbursed with ESSER money.
- There was no principal’s report.
- There was no president’s report. The policy and building committees both met this month, but the information will be discussed later in the agenda.
- There was no correspondence.
Tauber moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financial reports and bills, June board minutes, conflict of interest form for board member, approve updated policies due to legislative changes (204.12, 508.17, 702.03, 902.02, 902.04), and teacher use of sick leave bank. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- Our attorney reviewed the bid and contract from Pro Track and Tennis and did not see any changes that needed to be made. They are planning to start as soon as the track season is over next spring. Hanefeldt moved to approve the track resurfacing contract with Pro Track and Tennis. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Weber received two bids for cement work behind the school from Claussen Concrete and Aschoff Construction. The bids cover cement work to the stadium ramps, behind the stadium, and across to the concession stand and bathrooms. Cement work would also be done to help with water flow problems behind the school. Cement work for a bigger high jump area is also included in the bids. Kuhlman moved to accept the lower bid from Claussen Concrete of $26,910. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 3-0 Fanta – yes, Hanefeldt – yes, Tauber – abstain, Kuhlman – yes. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- The student fee policy was updated to include new lunch prices. The breakfast price for next year was raised five cents to $1.95. Lunch prices were raised ten cents to $2.75 for P-6 and $2.95 for 7-12. Extra milk and juice will remain at $0.60 and extra entrees will be $0.75. Kuhlman moved to approve the student fees policy as presented. Seconded by Tauber. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- The policy committee reviewed the current complaint policy and suggested using KSB’s complaint policy with a few small changes. Kuhlman moved to approve the first reading of the revised complaint policy. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- The policy committee also reviewed the pass/fail policy when they met. They recommended a few changes to clarify due dates in the policy. Tauber moved to approve the pass/fail policy with the recommended changes. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Weber updated the current staff handbook. Tauber moved, and Kuhlman seconded, to approve the 2022-2023 staff handbook. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- In order to attract subs, we need to raise the substitute pay. Tauber moved to increase substitute daily pay to $125. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- The 2022-2023 student handbooks were updated to include the new USDA discrimination policy. The 7-12 handbook will also be updated with the new pass/fail policy. Kuhlman moved to approve the 2022-2023 student handbooks. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- The policy committee met and held their six-month Covid Return to Learn Plan review. The committee recommends removing the tier notification system from the policy and following current recommendations from the Department of Health. Hanefeldt moved to approve the 2022-2023 Return to Learn Plan. Seconded by Tauber. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried.
- The new van we ordered last year is still months out in production. The board discussed purchasing another van to replace one of the older ones we have. The transportation committee will look into this.
- The board reviewed upcoming board conferences.
At 8:35 p.m., Tauber moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 4-0. Borgmann and Burns excused. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, August 8, 2022, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary