Minutes- Sept. 14, 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on September 14, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Matt Fritz, Greg Kuhlman, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Amy Borgmann arrived at 7:07. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Fritz moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Borgmann excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson reported that the roof is nearly complete. The new personnel at school is doing a great job. The new bus arrived and was used last Friday. Parent/teacher contracts will be held this year, but parents should not feel obligated if they have no concerns. Most people have been pretty good about wearing masks. We will continue to watch the risk dial.
- Principal Nilson shared that MAP testing is being conducted. The seniors will take a free ACT test on October 6. The school improvement team will review the fall MAPS scores to see if there are any deficits from virtual learning last spring.
- President Morrill shared a video from the NASB. Several of their future meetings will be virtual. Upcoming board committee work was reviewed and a revision in board committees was made.
- The policy committee met, discussed, and approved new policies dealing with Title IX. The American civics committee stated that they reviewed the required information and there are no changes from last year. Kuhlman reported that the finance committee heard a presentation from First National Capital Markets about how they can assist the school with budgeting finance. No recommendation was made.
- Thank you notes for the McDowell Trust were received from Sierra Nielsen and Alex Homan.
Borgmann moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of monthly financials, minutes of the meetings/hearings held on August 20th and September 2nd, and the recommended changes to policies 402.01, 402.15, 403.03, 404.06, 405.00, 501.00, 504.03, 504.14, 504.18, 504.20, 504.21, 505.03, 612.05, and 1004.03. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Kuhlman moved to approve the proposed tax request and levy for the general fund at $0.789337 ($4,015,151.00) and the building fund at $0.009929 ($50,505.00). Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The property tax resolution was completed.
- Fanta moved to approve the fund budgets totaling $7,448,035.00 for 20-21 as they were published. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Fanta moved to recognize the Creighton Teachers Association as the exclusive bargaining agent for the 2022-2023 contract year. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- A NASB budget workshop video was viewed.
- Hanefeldt moved to register Morrill for the NASB area membership meeting. The meeting will be virtual, and all board members can watch it for the price of one registration. Fanta Seconded the motion. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Morrill moved to register Fritz for the Labor Relations Conference. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:45 p.m., Morrill moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, October 12, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary