Minutes- August 10, 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on August 10, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Matt Fritz, Amy Borgmann, Greg Kuhlman, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Fanta moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
Since all public comment requests were for agenda item VI.D., Discussion and Act on transportation, Fanta moved to move public comment down to that section of the agenda. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson shared that Joel Schwartz is retiring after seventeen years. Custodian and para interviews were held last week. Sanitizing stations have been placed around the school. The return to school plan was distributed to families last week. We will work closely with the health department for guidance. Twenty more Chromebooks were purchased using COVID funds. The Title IX policy requirements have changed and need to update that policy.
- Principal Nilson stated that fall practices started today. Mrs. Sayers offered summer technology classes for staff. All classrooms will be set up in digital classrooms at the beginning of the year so we are ready for any variations we may have to make. MAPS testing will be completed in August and September and the state will offer a free ACT test to all seniors this fall.
- The Policy Committee met through email to review/update policies following recommendations from Jim Luebbe from the NASB. Most of the changes were for gender identity, etc. Policy 501.01, Educational Equity was added.
- A thank you for the McDowell Trust was received from Maddie York.
Due to the consent agendas length, it was broken into segments for approval. Fritz moved to approve the consent agenda items of the monthly financial reports and the July minutes. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Kuhlman moved to approve the R & K Motor bill. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: Fritz – yes, Hanefeldt – yes, Kuhlman – yes, Borgmann – yes, Fanta – yes, Morrill – abstain. RCV: 5-0. Morrill abstained. Motion Carried. Hanefeldt moved to approve consent agenda items of Discuss and Act on Title IX Coordinator, review policies 103.00, 104.00, 204.02, 204.07, 204.11, 402.01, 404.06, 501.00, 501.01, 504.18 with recommended changes, and discuss and act on new policy 404.12 and 504.24. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Borgmann moved to approve KSB School Law as legal counsel for 20-21 school year, NRCSA membership, annual approval of board policy manual, and Dana F. Cole as the school auditor for 20-21 audit. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- There are no upcoming board conferences.
- Fanta moved to hold a Budget Workshop on August 20th and to have the Hearing and Tax Request special meeting on September 2nd. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson shared the Return to School plan and wondered if anyone had questions. The plan was mailed to all families. He will work closely with the health department to know what level we are in. Families will be contacted with level changes by a combination of SchoolReach, social media, and notes.
- Fanta moved to amend public comment so that each patron who requested it could have five minutes to speak tonight on the transportation issue. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. As transportation committee chair, Fanta summarized how the board got to the place they were.
Four basic options were looked at: (1) contract busing services, (2) rent/lease buses, (3) purchase buses or (4) pay mileage. Fourteen patrons spoke and expressed their desire for busing. Some of the most common reasons patrons stated were service, working parents, they do not have the means to get them there, and excessive trips for parents. Patrons expressed concern that they wanted an answer today. The board discussed the four options. Discussion also occurred on finding bus drivers, purchasing buses, potentially losing students without busing, and fiscal aspects of the different options. Hanefeldt moved to purchase two buses from Creighton Bus Service and to hire Jim Borgmann and Stan Schellen to drive the bus routes. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: Morrill – no, Borgmann – yes, Fanta – yes, Fritz – yes, Hanefeldt – yes, Kuhlman – no. 4-2. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:45 p.m., Morrill moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, September 14, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary