Minutes- January 13, 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on January 13, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Greg Kuhlman, Dixie Hanefeldt, Matt Fritz, and Amy Borgmann. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, and Secretary Hoffman.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
The election of officers was held. Kuhlman nominated Morrill for president. Seconded by Fritz. Kuhlman moved to cease nominations. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Ballot vote was taken and Morrill will remain president with 6 ballot votes. Kuhlman nominated, and Hanefeldt seconded, Fanta for vice president. Kuhlman moved to cease nominations. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Ballot vote was taken and Fanta will remain vice president with 6 ballot votes. Hanefeldt nominated Kuhlman for treasurer. Seconded by Fanta. Fanta moved to cease nominations. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Ballot vote was taken and Kuhlman will remain treasurer with 6 ballot votes. Kuhlman moved to appoint Jennifer Hoffman as secretary. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Hoffman will remain secretary.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson stated that there were two bids opened for the roof on January 9th. Some elementary teachers are visiting area schools to look at their math series. The school received a Perkins grant for a drone and router table and a Cooper Foundation grant for the KidZone area. The new phone system is installed.
- Principal Nilson shared that there are a number of winter activities going on. Students are doing the winter session of MAPS testing this year instead of the spring session. This will allow us to have some feedback before NeSA testing begins and gives the students a break between tests. The crisis team met to discuss student monitoring and worked on a digital platform for emergency protocol.
- Morrill revisited the Superintendent’s Evaluation and shared proposed Superintendent goals for the 2020 year. Goals included creation of transparent financials for reporting the District’s financial position and report to the Board with examples of how the superintendent is providing Operations Leadership. Morrill also reminded Fanta, Fritz and Kuhlman that their terms were up for reelection and that incumbents need to file for the board by February 15th.
- There were no committee reports.
- There was no correspondence.
Kuhlman moved to approve the consent agenda of monthly financial reports, December minutes, and that the regular board meeting will be held on the second Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Kuhlman shared that the negotiations committee met with the teachers’ association and they have agreed on a proposed two-year agreement. The proposed base salary for 2020-2021 will be increased by $750 to $36,300 and another $750 to $37,050 in 2021-2022. Proposal to add another step to Column D(BA+27) to make 12 steps on that column on the salary schedule and employees will be paid $50 for personal days not used, up to two personal days. Health insurance will be a choice of $1050 PPO Deductible Plan or HSA Plan options. Fritz moved to approve the proposed negotiated agreement as presented. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Discussion was held on the 2018-19 audit report. Fanta moved to approve the 2018-2019 audit. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson explained that we received two bids on the roof. He is currently working with the architect, who is in contact with the lowest bidder, on some value engineering options. The options will be put together and shared with the building committee. Hanefeldt moved to table the topic to the next meeting. Seconded by Morrill. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Jay Fuchtman submitted his resignation effective the end of this school year. Borgmann moved to accept the resignation from Jay Fuchtman. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Junior high football for next year was discussed. Discussion included a synopsis of the 2019 season with Plainview, Junior High numbers for next year and preservation of working relationship with Plainview. Morrill moved to have junior high football team in Creighton next year since both communities appear to have numbers to support their own teams. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Fanta moved to approve Borgmann’s and Morrill’s registration for the NASB Legislative Issues Conference in Lincoln on February 9 and 10. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:39 p.m., Borgmann moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, February10, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary