Minutes- March 9, 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on March 9, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Dixie Hanefeldt, Matt Fritz, Amy Borgmann, and Greg Kuhlman. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson should be receiving a quote for the new reading series. We are currently accepting applications for the 4th grade position. An engineer will be out next week to look at the furnace for the multipurpose room to determine if it is cost effective to replace it when it is lifted off the roof during the roof replacement process. He attended the latest legislative conference and has listened to several meetings on the coronavirus.
- Principal Nilson stated that spring practice starts on March 16. Our students will do NSCAS testing during April and the juniors will ACT test on March 24. Winter MAP testing has been completed for elementary classes. He has been working with staff to develop e-learning plans in the event of a mandated closure from the coronavirus.
- Board President Morrill shared information from the President’s retreat and Legislative Issues conferences she attended. Upcoming conferences and committee work for March was shared.
- Fanta reported that the building committee met and discussed replacing the multipurpose room heater. They also looked at purchasing another van and/or possibly bus. They began looking at bus schedules and with meet with Creighton Bus Service soon. Morrill reported that the finance committee met to discuss financial goals and the process to notify past graduates of the McDowell trust. She also said that the planning and development committee met to discuss strategic planning options for the district.
- There was no correspondence.
Hanefeldt moved to approve the consent agenda of monthly financial reports except for the R & K Motor bill and the minutes from the February meeting. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Fritz moved to approve the R & K bill. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Morrill abstained. Motion Carried.
- Hannah Zimmerer’s resignation letter was read. Fanta moved to accept Ms. Zimmerer’s resignation. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Nurse Connie Bloomquist submitted her resignation request. Kuhlman moved to accept Connie Bloomquist’s resignation. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Randy Kliment is retiring at the end of this school year. Fritz moved to accept his resignation, seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- After conducting interviews, the administration recommends Trent Simpson for the PE position. Fanta moved to hire Trent Simpson for the physical education position. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson presented a list of teachers to offer contracts to for the 20-21 school year. Hanefeldt moved to offer certified contracts as presented. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The 20-21 calendar was discussed. The administration is proposing dismissing at 2:30 every Friday. During the last half hour of each Friday, a small group of students would be assigned to a teacher to review grades, attendance, etc. Students struggling in a class could go visit that classroom teacher. Pros and cons of the idea were discussed. Eventually, the board decided that the administration should put a survey on the school website for parents to give us their input. Fanta moved to table the issue until April. Seconded by Matt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Borgmann moved to approve Fanta’s attendance at the NRCSA spring meeting. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Fritz moved to approve the registrations for Borgmann and Hanefeldt at the Brain Science Conference on April 21. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:19 p.m., Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, April 13, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary