Minutes - February 13, 2017
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on February 13, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Colleen Farnik, Duane Fanta, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Greg Kuhlman arrived at 7:04.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said.
Hanefeldt moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Fanta. RCV: 4-0. Kuhlman and Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
Public comment: Visitors were welcomed. There was no public comment.
Morrill stated that it was brought to our attention by Bobby Truhe, school attorney, that we need to change section G of the January minutes to meet the requirements of state statutes 84-1410 and 84-1413. Hanefeldt moved to approve and accept the changes to section G of last month’s minutes according to recommendation from legal council. Farnik thought the old minutes were fine. Duane seconded. RCV: Farnik – no, Morrill – yes, Kuhlman – yes, Hanefeldt – yes, Fanta – yes. 4-1. Gragert excused. Motion Carried. Fanta moved to change Section F to read cattlemen instead of cattlewoman. Kuhlman second. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
Hanefeldt moved to approve the consent agenda of monthly financial reports, excusing Tim Gragert due to military service, and the board committees. (McDowell report excluded due to no changes). Kuhlman seconded the motion. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
Superintendent Petersen stated that $479 had been raised for Jump for Heart by Mr. Fuchtman’s PE class. Twenty-two students have signed up for preschool next year. Improving Learning for Children with Disabilities (ILCD) is part of our school improvement plan. We currently have two students attending tower school in Wayne. Tower school is a 35 week program that helps students reach their individual goals.
Principal Nilson reported that the School Improvement Plan report was sent in on Friday. ACT prep for juniors will begin next week and the sophomores took the pre-ACT last week. Several teachers will be piloting an iPad management program. He is working on setting the schedule for the spring NeSA and MAPS testing. He has started the second round of teacher evaluations.
Board President Morrill will get all board members signed up for Senator Groene’s weekly column. Farnik, Morrill, and Superintendent Petersen attended the Education Forum. Farnik shared information on the Gallup student polls session she attended. Morrill and Petersen shared information on the public relations session they attended about promoting your school and town. Morrill shared information about the open meetings law and school law session she attended led by our attorney.
Morrill had Bobby Truhe examine our superintendent contract and he sent her his firm’s version.
The personnel committee and the buildings and grounds committee will meet at 7:00 p.m on Wednesday, March 8th. The policy committee will set up a meeting in March. Farnik would like to be removed from the policy committee.
- Superintendent Petersen received input from the staff on the proposed calendar for next year. The calendar will remain very similar to this year, with school out before Memorial Day. Graduation surveys were to parents of the junior class and the most votes were received for May 12th. Hanefeldt moved to accept the proposed 2017-2018 calendar. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
- Ken Navratil performed the annual safety review in January. His report listed minor things that needed to be fixed. Some of the changes have already been completed, and others will be completed this summer. Farnik moved to approve the 2016-2017 safety audit. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Petersen recommended that we approve the principal’s contract for Ryon Nilson for 2017-2018, with no dollar or day amount at this time. The personnel committee will need to meet before those figures are determined and then they can be inserted into the contract. Hanefeldt moved to renew Ryon Nilson’s contract for 2017-2018 minus the days and dollars. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
- The board will review the 100 and 200 board policies at the March meeting.
- The board discussed upcoming workshops and who would like to attend them. Fanta moved to approve Farnik’s attendance at the President’s Retreat in Kearney on February 26th and 27th, Morrill attendance at the President’s Retreat in Norfolk on March 5th and 6th, and Hanefeldt, Fanta, Farnik, and Morrill to the Back to the Basics of School Law on March 16th in Norfolk. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried. Fanta said there is a lot of interest in northeast Nebraska about the Beef in Schools program. He has contacted Benita Leader and she is willing to do a presentation in Creighton to anyone interested. Fanta says the meeting needs to be before March 11th. The program tries to get local producers to donate beef for use in local schools. The outreach committee will organize and help stimulate interest for the meeting.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:06 p.m., President Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, March 13, 2017, at 7:00 p.m. in the high school library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary