Minutes- October 14, 2019
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on October 14, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Greg Kuhlman, Matt Fritz, Amy Borgmann, and Dixie Hanefeldt.
Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, and Secretary Hoffman.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Hanefeldt moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson reported that the Parent Involvement Event (PIE) will be held here on November 5th. The architect is putting final specs together on the roof bid. The safety committee met on October 10th. He shared information on the NASB Area Membership meeting he attended in September. He also congratulated the school improvement team and staff on a great accreditation visit last week.
- Principal Nilson shared that there will be no school on November 19th due to conference one acts being held at Creighton. He shared APL refresher slides that teachers use. Mr. Nilson shared a handout summarizing the School Improvement Plan exit presentation from the review team. The school received many great comments from the team.
- President Morrill shared the NASB monthly update. She summarized the committee work that needs to be done. She also attended the area membership meeting and attended sessions dealing with strategic planning and cohesive leadership.
- The policy committee met on October 3 to review sections of the policy manual. The table of contents needs to be aligned to the online policy manual.
- A McDowell thank you from Derek Wortman was read.
Borgmann moved to approve the consent agenda of monthly financial reports and the September 9th minutes, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- A Title IX coordinator is appointed annually; Fritz moved to appoint Randy Kliment as the Title IX coordinator for the school, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The building committee met with Seth Foner from Great Plains Communication to review the bid he submitted. The new phone system would include new phones, answering machine, caller ID, licensing, and 1000 minutes of long distance each month. The current system is outdated, and it is hard to find parts for repairs. The life expectancy of the new system is 10-15 years. Recommendation from the Building Committee was to accept the Great Plains Communication Bid. Fanta moved to accept the $11,390.08 bid from Great Plains Communication for a new phone system, seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- There were no NASB conference registrations approved during this meeting.
- Hanefeldt moved that the board enter into closed session to hold a strategy session related to collective bargaining to protect the public interest, seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The board entered closed session at 8:08 p.m. At 8:51 p.m., Kuhlman moved to exit closed session, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. No action was taken.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:56 p.m., Kuhlman moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Borgmann. RCV 6-0. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, November 11, 2019, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary