September 14, 2015 Minutes
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on September 14, 2015 at 6:40 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President D. Morrill called the meeting to order at 6:43 p.m.
Members present: Dan Morrill, Colleen Farnik, Dixie Hanefeldt, Tim Gragert, Kay Morrill, and Gene Suhr.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Dredge, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
D. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Minutes of the August 10, 2015 Meeting: No changes were made.
The Financial Reports were reviewed. District expenses: $291,216.77. K. Morrill moved to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
1. McDowell Update: The McDowell report was reviewed.
1. Welcome the Patrons & Visitors: Visitors were welcomed. There was no public comment.
2. Principal’s Report: Principal Dredge shared MAPS testing dates. It was also shared that ESU 8 had visited the PC lab.
3. Superintendent‘s Report: Superintendent Petersen shared the current number of students riding the bus. She also encouraged board members to sign up for the upcoming NASB meetings. A representative from ESU 8 will be at the October board meeting to show the board how the distance learning system works.
4. Hear a Report on Enrollment: Principal Dredge shared enrollment numbers and stated that total enrollment for 2015-2016 is 300.
5. Hear a Report on High School Courses: Principal Dredge provided enrollment numbers per course for the junior and senior high classes.
6. Report from Study Committee (Reschedule meeting with Bloomfield): The Board discussed options for holding a community meeting and/or board workshop to keep communication open with the public and surrounding communities.
7. Review Board Committees: The board reviewed the committees. Discussion was held on holding board committee meetings to begin to develop plans for the future.
8. Discuss 2015-2016 Certificated Staff Negotiations Timeline: The board must recognize the CTA and begin negotiations by November 1.
9. Set up Meeting for Negotiation Committee: The negotiation committee will meet on October 6th at 7:00 a.m.
10. Set Up Meeting for Building and Grounds Committee: The meeting will take place on September 15th at 7:00 p.m.
11. Set Up Meeting for Technology Committee: The technology committee will meet on October 1st at 5:00 p.m.
12. Discuss Upcoming NASB meetings: The meetings were discussed during the superintendent’s report.
13. Begin Reading and Reviewing Board Policies: 1000-1155: Superintendent Petersen would like the board members to read these policies prior to the October meeting.
14. Discuss Personnel: There was nothing to discuss.
15. Act on Option Enrollments (If Necessary): There were none.
16. Act on Creighton Teachers Association to be Recognized as the Exclusive Bargaining Agent for 2015-2016: Suhr moved to accept the Creighton Teacher’s Association as the exclusive bargaining agent for 2015-2016. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
17. Act on 2015-2016 Budget: Gragert moved to approve the proposed 2015-2016 budget as presented by the Superintendent. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
18. Act on 2015-2016 Tax Request Resolution: Gragert moved to approve the proposed tax request for 2015-2016, as presented by Superintendent Petersen. Suhr seconded the motion. RCV: Farnik – yes, Hanefeldt – no, Gragert – yes, K. Morrill – no, D. Morrill – yes, Suhr – yes. RCV: 4-2. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:03 p.m., Suhr moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, September 14, 2015, in the high school library at 7:00 p.m.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary