Minutes- February 10,2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on February 10, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Dixie Hanefeldt, Matt Fritz, and Amy Borgmann. Fanta moved to excuse Greg Kuhlman’s absence. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, and Secretary Hoffman.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Fanta moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Kuhlman excused. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson shared a tentative school calendar for 2020-2021. He is proposing 2:30 outs on Fridays. We typically have several students missing for activities on Friday afternoons. The last half hour of the day would be used for class meetings, study hall, etc. He distributed the teacher evaluation form for the board to examine. Thirteen people applied for the PE position and interviews will be conducted this week. The elementary teachers are narrowing down which math series they want.
- Principal Nilson stated that winter sports are winding down. He is trying to get us into a pilot program with Khan Academy. The programs uses math scores and RIT scores to help narrow down what area each individual student needs more help in. He shared that community access to the multipurpose room is available now and is modeled off what several area schools do.
- Board President Morrill informed the board about different conferences she attended in the past month. Board committee assignments were shared. Upcoming board committee work for the month was outlined.
- There were no committee reports.
- There was no correspondence.
Fanta moved to approve the consent agenda of monthly financial reports and the minutes from both January meetings. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Kuhlman excused. Motion Carried.
- The finance committee met with Superintendent Thompson to discuss the principal contract for next year. Superintendent Thompson shared the principal evaluation tool that he uses. The committee recommended a three percent raise, keeping in line with the superintendent and teachers’ contracts. Fritz moved to approve the recommendation of a three percent raise for Principal Nilson for the 2020-2021 school year. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Kuhlman excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson shared the ESU 1 special education contract for 2020-2021. The contract is based on our projected needs for next year. Fanta moved to renew the ESU 1 SPED contract for 2020-2021. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Kuhlman excused. Motion Carried.
- Fanta moved to renew the Nebraska Association of School Boards membership for 2020-2021. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Kuhlman excused. Motion Carried.
- Morrill moved to approve Morrill, Fanta, Kuhlman, Fritz, and Borgmann to attend the NRCSA Legislative Issues conference on February 26. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Kuhlman excused. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:18 p.m., Borgmann moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Kuhlman excused. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, March 9, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary