Minutes- November 13, 2018
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on November 13, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Colleen Farnik, Dixie Hanefeldt, and Greg Kuhlman. Fanta moved to excuse Tim Gragert. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried.
Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
Fanta moved to approve the consent agenda of monthly financials, and minutes from the October 8th board meeting. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
Superintendent Thompson asked Kim Lemke to speak on the new WIN (What I Need) reading program in the elementary. Kim explained that after testing was completed, students were split into groups that work on different reading intervention activities. He has not heard anything more from Tremco since the last meeting. He is going to begin classified staff evaluations later this month and go over job descriptions with employees. He stated that we will need to fill Tim Gragert’s position on the board due to him being elected to the Legislature.
Principal Nilson stated that winter sports practices started this week for basketball. ACT and NSCAS test results have been shared with students and staff, but cannot be released to media yet. Amy Mundahl from ESU 1 was here to work with the elementary teachers on the WIN reading program. He is visiting two schools in the area this week with a couple of teachers to see how the schools are using technology in their classrooms.
President Morrill shared that the state NASB convention is later this week. The NASB monthly update was shared, and school districts are being asked to look at their disciplinary policies. She congratulated Amy Borgmann for being elected as a new board member and thanked Tim Gragert for his service to the school. She shared that the superintendent evaluation needs to be completed by the December meeting. Packets of information were given to the board members and they will receive a link to fill out the evaluation online. Superintendent Thompson went over the superintendent goals for 2018-2019. The board policies are now online. Different financial reports are being developed as we move to the new software. The community stakeholder group has been emailed to see if they have more questions for the group. Job descriptions have been updated.
A thank you was received from Kim Hines for the board’s support of her National FCCLA trip.
- Tim Gragert had submitted a resignation letter, effective November 30, to the board since he was elected senator. Kuhlman moved to accept Tim Gragert’s resignation from the Creighton school board. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson checked policy to see what steps need to be taken to fill the vacant position. He needs to let the county clerk know and place something in the paper that states that there is a vacancy and the length of the term. The board discussed how they wanted to fill the position since policy doesn’t state any procedure. Last time there was a vacancy, letters of application were sent to the superintendent prior to the meeting. They were then interviewed during the meeting and a vote was taken. The board decided that an ad would be ran in the paper for two weeks stating that anyone interested needs to submit a letter of application to Superintendent Thompson by December 3rd. The applicants will be interviewed, and an appointment will be made at the December 12th meeting. The appointed officer will take the oath in January.
- The December board meeting will be moved to later in the week due to the elementary and high school Christmas programs being held that night. Fanta moved to hold the next board meeting on December 12 at 7:00 p.m. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson and Randy Kliment met with Plainview administrators last week to discuss possibly combining for junior high football next year and tried to develop an idea both schools were okay with. Both Creighton administrators stated that the main reason they feel we need to consider this is for safety for our athletes, as the team will consist mainly of seventh graders next year. Ten or eleven Creighton boys expressed interest in playing next year. Plainview plans on eighteen. If the two teams are combined, a six game schedule would be created. The athletic directors would try to schedule some B team games to give some of the younger kids more opportunities to play. Practices and most games would take place at Plainview. Our kids would work on fundamentals and individual skills during part of seventh period and then head to Plainview for team practices. Discussion occurred about athletes not receiving very much playing time due to a lot of kids on the team and the possibility if we didn’t go something that kids may not receive a lot of playing time because if there were a few injuries we would have to forfeit our games. Fanta moved to have Creighton participate with Plainview in junior high football for the 2019-2020 school year based on the recommendations of Superintendent Thompson and AD Kliment. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: Hanefeldt – yes, Kuhlman – yes, Fanta – yes, Farnik – abstained, Morrill -yes. RCV: 4-0, one abstain. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
- The superintendent evaluation was discussed earlier in the meeting. Completed evaluations are due November 30th.
Superintendent Thompson will be contacting board members to set up negotiation, policy, and transportation committee meetings.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:26 p.m., President Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Wednesday, December 12, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary