Minutes- January 11, 2021
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on January 11, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
Superintendent Thompson called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. He announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Duane Fanta, Matt Fritz, Greg Kuhlman, Amy Borgmann, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Kay Morrill was absent. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
The election of officers was held. Hanefeldt nominated Fanta for president. Seconded by Fritz. Kuhlman moved to cease nominations. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried. Fanta will be president with 5 votes. Kuhlman nominated, and Hanefeldt seconded, Fritz for vice president. Kuhlman moved to cease nominations. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried. Vote was taken and Fritz will become vice president with 5 votes. Borgmann nominated Kuhlman for treasurer. Seconded by Hanefeldt. Fritz moved to cease nominations. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried. Vote was taken and Kuhlman will remain treasurer with 5 ballot votes. Fritz moved to appoint Jennifer Hoffman as secretary. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried. Hoffman will remain secretary.
Borgmann moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson has contacted a couple of companies about buses and leasing options. The transportation committee will meet this month to review it. Ron Wagner is certified to do the six month asbestos inspection at the school. Attendance at events due to COVID has been updated and we can now have up to fifty percent capacity, or 550 people, in attendance.
- Principal Nilson stated that Lewis and Clark Conference band will be in Plainview on January 23. The professional development schedule for next year is being created. Safety/drug training for teachers will take place in the next few months.
- There was no president’s report.
- There were no committee reports.
- A note from Kay Morrill was read stating that Josh Weber had accepted and signed his contract and the moving expense appendix. It also stated that she was stepping away from her position on the board.
Fritz asked to pull the R & K bill from consent agenda. Fritz moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financials, December 7th minutes, and that regular board meetings would be held on the second Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m., with exception of the R & K bill. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried. Borgmann moved to pay the R & K Motor bill. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried.
- The board had received the 2019-2020 audit for review at the December meeting. Kuhlman moved to approve the 2019-2020 fiscal audit. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried.
- Josh Weber accepted and returned a signed contract. Fritz moved to accept the signed contract for Joshua Weber as the incoming Superintendent. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried.
- There was no interest in the virtual legislative issue conference at this time.
The following bills were paid:
At 7:41 p.m., Kuhlman moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Morrill absent. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, February 8, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary