Minutes- April 13 , 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on April 13, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed at school and on the school website.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Dixie Hanefeldt, Matt Fritz, Amy Borgmann, and Greg Kuhlman. Duane Fanta joined at 7:11 p.m. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Fritz moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Fanta absent. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson stated that he appreciates the patience and cooperation of the board and staff during this time. He is looking into Federal CARES Act funding to help with some expenses and is attending several webinars hosted by our lawyers and the department of education to make sure we are staying current with all changes. Work on the roof will begin this week. We will wait to make any plans for summer school. Driver’s ed can be held over Zoom for the classroom portion and the driving could be done at a later time. He shared a list of activity assignments for next year. There are a few changes and a couple spots he is still working on filling. May 8th will be the last day of new assignments for students. Classified staff are working various jobs around the school and assisting teachers whenever possible.
- Principal Nilson reported that all NSAA and school activities are cancelled through May 31. E-enrichment classes were held from March 18-27, and we transitioned to eLearning on March 30th. He stated that the school’s investment and emphasis in technology paid off as we were able to start online classes two days after we closed. He has been working with Superintendent Thompson to come up with possible ideas for graduation. A Zoom meeting with senior parents will be held this week to discuss options.
- Board President Morrill asked board members to check the NASB website for upcoming webinars.
- The building committee met and discussed the heating unit on top of the multipurpose room. The unit will need to be lifted off of the building in order to replace the roof. When it is put back on all of the connections will need to be built up to fit it. It is very inefficient, and it is almost impossible to find parts to repair it anymore. They feel that an engineer should be hired to handle the replacement of the unit. The building committee also met with Superintendent Thompson on the bus contract for next year.
- There was no correspondence.
Fanta moved to approve the consent agenda items consisting of the March Minutes, April financial reports, and the recommended changes to Policy 905.08, School Closings and Cancellations. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Hanefeldt moved to hire Jessica Horstmann for the fourth grade position. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson stated that Shelley Konopasek is going to be the school nurse at Verdigre next year and she is willing to work one day at week at Creighton. Borgmann moved to hire Shelley Konopasek as the school nurse for 20-21. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson stated that all teacher contracts were signed and returned. Kuhlman moved to approve the 20-21 teacher contracts. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The school calendar for next year was reviewed. Fanta moved to approve the school calendar for next year and to table the 2:30 p.m. dismissal on Fridays to the May meeting. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The list of McDowell trust applicants was reviewed. Eleven current graduates and twelve past graduates applied. Fritz moved to keep the payments the same as last year, with current graduates receiving $2,000 and past graduates receiving $3,000. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson met with Kucireck Engineering to discuss heating/AC units in the kitchen, elementary gym, and multipurpose room. The building committee decided to have them only bid on the heating/AC unit for the multipurpose room as we will further ahead to replace that unit then pick it up and set it back down on a new built up curve. Fanta moved to hire Kucireck Engineers with approval of the cost at a later date so that bids can be accepted since work is beginning on the roof this week. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson explained that the lawyers recommend that all hourly classified staff sign a Return to Work Agreement. This allows the district to retain good employees and employees are receiving pay for doing different jobs around the building. Fritz moved to approve the Return to Work Agreement Resolution for classified staff. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The Emergency Expenditures and State or Federal Relief Resolution allows the superintendent to pursue aid, make emergency expenditures, and utilize staff as needed during this time. Fanta moved to approve the Covid 19 Emergency Expenditures and State or Federal Relief Resolution. Fritz seconded the motion. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Hanefeldt moved to approve the Grades, Graduation, Curriculum, and Related Matters Resolution which allows the Superintendent to make decision on how classes are held, grading is done etc. Fanta seconded the motion. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- There are no upcoming board conferences.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:26 p.m., Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, May 11, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary