Minutes- May 11, 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on May 11, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent electronically to all the board members. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed at school and on the school website.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Dixie Hanefeldt, Matt Fritz, Amy Borgmann, Duane Fanta and Greg Kuhlman. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Fritz moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson said that the roof work is progressing. Bids for the HVAC system in the multipurpose room will be opened on May 14th. He continues to receive daily updates on the COVID-19’s impact on education. The Nebraska Department of Education is working with schools to make sure they are meeting requirements. Driver’s Ed will be offered next year at a cost of $265.00 per student. Mr. Pfanstiel will be the instructor.
- Principal Nilson shared that the Lewis and Clark conference is now divided into two pods instead of three. We will now play Hartington, Winside, and Wynot as conference games for volleyball and basketball. The last day of instruction for students was May 8th, and teachers are working with kids who are missing assignments until the 21st.
- Board President Morrill stated that all NASB conferences in June are cancelled and said that NRSCA is urging board members to look at the launchne.com site about school opening in the fall.
- The building committee met on the 6th of May. The work on the roof is progressing. The transportation committee continues to work with Jim Borgmann on the bus contract. The finance committee discussed classified contracts and decided to wait for further information about school options for next fall. Superintendent Thompson continues to work on his goal for financial reports with new formats shared. The planning and development committee recommended adding two more days to the fall semester 2020-2021 calendar after Mr. Thompson explained that the first numbers on the approved calendar did not indicate the correct number of days. The committee also discussed a Friday 2:30 dismissal with Mr. Nilson and Mr. Thompson having some input from an informal survey that was made available to the public online. The committee was not ready to make a recommendation and will be discussing further.
- There was no correspondence.
Borgmann moved to approve the consent agenda items consisting of the April Minutes, April Financial Reports, approval of the cost for the Engineer work that was approved last meeting, and the recommended changes to the 2020-2021 school calendar (change the start day to August 19th and have school on November 25th). Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson met with the school technology coordinators and Principal Nilson to discuss technology needs for next year. He proposed purchasing 35 teacher Chromebooks, 30 student Chromebooks, 20 iPads, and 56 iPad covers using the funds from the REAP Grant. Fanta moved to use the REAP grant to purchase Chromebooks, iPads, and accessories as presented for a total cost of $31,040. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The first bill for the roof project has been received. Fritz moved to approve expenditures of $117,861.75 for the roof project. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The bus contract for next year was reviewed. A COVID-19 addendum to transportation services agreement was added for this year. The lawyer updated the bus contract for next year. The rate per miles will increase by 2.5% for next year. Fritz moved to approve the bus contract for 2020-2021 with Creighton Bus Service as presented with an increase of 2.5% per mile. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- There are no upcoming board conferences.
The following bills were paid:
At 7:52 p.m., Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, June 6, 2020, at 7:00 p.m.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary