Minutes- September 9, 2019
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on September 9, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. and announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Greg Kuhlman, Matt Fritz, Amy Borgmann, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, and Secretary Hoffman.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Borgmann moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson shared more information about the PIE (Parent Information Event) to be held in Creighton on November 5. There will be several mini sessions covering issues such as mental health. The building committee will do a conference call with the roof architect tomorrow. Creighton Public Schools will be receiving $31,072 in REAP money for 2019-2020. This is typically used for technology. Enrollment is up nine students this year. Superintendent Thompson met with Laura Hintz on school safety and emergency/crisis plans.
- The School improvement team continues to prepare for the visit in October, according to Principal Nilson. The school improvement team, consisting of Principal Nilson, Kortney Sayers, Christine Baldwin, Wendy Coutts, Linda Anderson and Kim Lemke, shared with the board the presentation they will be sharing with the school improvement evaluation team during their visit. The presentation included the progress of the reading and technology goals that had been the focus after the last school improvement visit. Nilson commended the local law enforcement and fire department for their assistance the day of the bomb threat. The crisis team met the next day to evaluate the evacuation process.
- President Morrill shared information on upcoming workshops, committee work, and the NASB monthly update.
- The policy committee continues to review the policy book.
- There was no correspondence.
Fritz moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financial reports and the minutes from the August 22 and September 4 meetings. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Hanefeldt moved to approve the tax resolution as printed and presented. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The tax request resolution for 2019-2020 was published in the Knox County News. Fanta moved to approve the tax request resolution for 2019-2020 as published. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The 2019-2020 budget was presented in the Knox County News. Kuhlman moved to approve the 2019-2020 budget as published. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson is interested in updating the current phone system. After the recent bomb threat, he realized our current system does not include caller ID. He had spoken to a representative from Great Plains Communications who prepared a bid for $11,399 to update the system. No action was taken and the item was tabled so the Building Committee can study this further for a future recommendation to the board.
- Hanefeldt moved to recognize the Creighton Teachers Association (CTA) as the exclusive bargaining agent for the negotiation of the 2021-2022 Master Contract. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- There are several upcoming NASB meetings. Kuhlman moved to approve Morrill’s attendance at the Labor Relations Conference on Thursday. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Hanefeldt moved to approve Morrill’s and Fanta’s’ attendance at the Area Membership meeting on September 25. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Morrill’s attendance at the State Education Conference was approved in a motion made by Hanefeldt, and seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:05 p.m., Fanta moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV 6-0. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, October 14, 2019, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary