Minutes January 11, 2016
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on January 11, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President D. Morrill called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
Members present: Dan Morrill, Gene Suhr, Dixie Hanefeldt, Tim Gragert, Kay Morrill, and Colleen Farnik.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Dredge, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
D. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Minutes of the December 7th and 16th Meetings: K. Morrill would like the December 7th minutes to read that December 16th was approved for a special meeting and that the handouts from December 16th are filed with the board minutes. Gragert moved to approve the minutes with the noted adjustments, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
Consent Agenda: The Financial Reports were reviewed. District expenses: $308,870.10. Farnik moved to approve all the bills and treasurer’s report except for R & K Motors. Seconded K. Morrill RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Gragert moved to approve the R & K Motors bill, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. K. Morrill abstained. Motion Carried.
K. Morrill moved to close the meeting sine die, seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0.Motion Carried. Jennifer Hoffman was appointed secretary and led the meeting. All the board members read and signed the oath of office. Hoffman then read the ethics documents and all members signed it.
Roll call was taken. All members were present.
Gragert nominated D. Morrill for president, seconded by Suhr. Hanefeldt nominated K. Morrill for president. Seconded by D. Morrill. Nominations ceased and written ballots were cast. When votes were tallied there were four for D. Morrill and two for K. Morrill. D. Morrill remained president and took over the meeting again.
Suhr nominated Gragert for vice president. The nomination was seconded by Farnik. After votes were tallied, Gragert will be vice president, by a vote of 5-0, one abstained.
Gragert nominated Farnik to be the treasurer and this was seconded by Suhr. Once the votes were tallied, Farnik will remain treasurer with a 6-0 vote. D.Morrill recommended that Hoffman remain secretary.
1. McDowell Update: The McDowell report was reviewed.
1. Welcome the Patrons & Visitors: Visitors were welcomed. There was no public comment.
2. Review Correspondence: There was none.
3. Superintendent ‘s Report: Superintendent Petersen reported that the first state aid draft has us dropping $100,000 to approximately $27,000. The safety audit was completed and the report was reviewed. An after school entrepreneurship program will be held for sixth graders if they wish to participate. She gave the board a list of meetings she will be attending over the next month.
4. Principal’s Report: Principal Dredge stated that three new students have enrolled in January. She also shared the NeSA testing windows and that APL training was completed with teacher and paras on January 5th.
5. President of Board of Ed Report: It seems that all activities are going at full speed right now.
6. Discuss Proposed 16-17 Calendar: Superintendent presented the proposed calendar for next year. The calendar will be shared with the staff for any suggestions before it is approved. A graduation survey will be mailed soon.
7. Discuss Committee Reports: The community outreach committee reported that the first community meeting went well. Another community meeting will be held on Wednesday to talk about CTE classes offered at Creighton and different online and dual credit classes available. CHS staff will speak along with some outside speakers. On February 17th a community meeting will be held to discuss the state of the schools report, AQuEST, and other academic measurements.
The negotiation committee met with the CTA and have negotiated an agreement for the 2016-2017 school year. The base increased to $33,600 with a $950 deductible, dental option C, and a restructured extra duty chart.
The buildings and ground committee has RFP’s out on the elementary roof and technology infrastructure. Bids have also been received for new lighting in the multi purpose room and elementary gym. Superintendent Petersen advised that the board look at completion of the HVAC in the summer of 2017. We don’t want to make a quick decision on this costly of a project. It appears that the track will be okay for this year, but we need to look at what we are going to do with it. Superintendent Petersen will create a document of what projects need to be done, when they were completed last, etc. for the building and grounds.
Superintendent Petersen reported that ads for an additional math teacher have been placed in three major papers and online on Teach Nebraska. An ad for an English teacher was put on Teach Nebraska, but it was taken off as we should be able to cover with our current English staff. Bernita Kruse and Renee Doerr will be retiring at the end of the year, and Superintendent Petersen is looking into option for the lunch program next year. We are continuing to advertise for a para.
8. Discuss Next Steps from Workshop Session: (K. Morrill excused at 7:00.) The board has all received the list of critical needs developed at the board workshop. Completed lists need to be submitted to the board secretary.
9. Act on Option Enrollments: One student would like to option to Creighton from Verdigre and two other students would like to option to Orchard, since they already attend school there. Gragert moved to accept the option enrollment requests as presented. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. K. Morrill excused. Motion Carried.
10. Act on Committee Members for 2016: The committees for 2016 will be as follows:
Building and Grounds – D. Morrill, Suhr, Gragert, (alt. Hanefeldt)
Curriculum and Policy – D. Morrill, K. Morrill, Farnik (alt. Hanefeldt)
Negotiations – D. Morrill, Suhr, Gragert, (alt. Farnik)
Personnel and Finance – D. Morrill, Suhr, Farnik, (alt. Gragert)
Technology – K. Morrill, Hanefeldt, Gragert, (alt Farnik)
Americanism – K. Morrill, Hanefeldt, (alt D. Morrill)
McDowell – Gragert, Farnik, (alt. D. Morrill)
Transportation – K. Morrill, Hanefeldt, D. Morrill, (alt. Farnik)
Safety – Suhr, Farnik, (alt. Gragert)
Community Outreach – K. Morrill, D. Morrill, Hanefeldt
Gragert moved to accept the changes in committees for 2016 as listed. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. K. Morrill excused. Motion Carried.
11. Act to Set Regular Board Meetings as the Second Monday of Each Month at 7:00 p.m.: Gragert moved to set the regular board meeting as the second Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. K. Morrill excused. Motion Carried.
12. Act on Certified Staff Member Resignation: There were none at this time.
13. Act on Negotiation Recommendation: Gragert moved to accept the negotiated agreement of $33,600, with a $950 deductible insurance, dental option C, and an updated extra duty table. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. K. Morrill excused. Motion Carried.
14. Act on Building and Grounds Recommendation: Requests for proposals (RFP’s) are out for currently advertised for the elementary roof and technology infrastructure.
15. Superintendent’s Evaluation: Discussion occurred to whether or not the board needs to go into closed session to discuss superintendent’s evaluation. It was determined that the evaluation was held in open session. (K. Morrill returned at 7:15) Gragert moved to approve the final copy of the Superintendent evalution. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 7:18 p.m., Farnik moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, February 8, 2016, in the high school library at 7:00 p.m.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary