Minutes- April 9, 2018
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on April 9, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Colleen Farnik, Tim Gragert, Greg Kuhlman, Duane Fanta, and Dixie Hanefeldt.
Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was said.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
Morrill asked to pull the policies out of consent agenda to make a correction. Gragert moved to approve the monthly financial report and the March minutes. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Policy 510.01 was removed from the policies listed under consent agenda because it will be discussed later in the meeting. Gragert moved to approve policies 704.02, 707.01, 801.03, 802.01, 802.05, and 805.01. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson reported on the Budget and Finance workshop he attended with Morrill and Kuhlman. Topics covered included fund explanations, budget and audit timelines, and financial spreadsheets. He also attended a Legal workshop covering areas such as board responsibilities; complaint procedures; hiring, firing, and dismissal of certificated employees; and impartiality. He handed out a list of the activity assignments for 2018-2019 that he had created following a meeting with the principal and athletic director.
- Principal Nilson stated that the TeamMates program has already received a grant from the Creighton Community Foundation. He has also received calls from community members interested in being mentors. He has heard a lot of positive feedback on the elementary
spring program. The juniors took the ACT test last Tuesday and MAPS and NSCAS testing will begin soon. A lockdown drill was held last week.
- President Morrill shared the NASB monthly update with the board and recapped the highlights of the Budget and Finance Workshop she attended.
- The policy committee is almost done reviewing the policy manual. Most of the updates that have been made are to update wording and to make sure the handbooks and policy both align. The planning and development committee had their first community meeting on March 7. The minutes from the meeting were reviewed. The board also had handouts that showed what each community group (divided by decade of graduation) felt were the highlights of their own school experience and hometown experience. An outline of the future community meeting topics was shared.
Copies of all reports are available at the office with the official minutes.
d. There was no correspondence.
- Deb Bloomquist submitted her resignation after thirty-three years. Fanta moved to accept the resignation of Deb Bloomquist following the 17-18 school year. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Gragert moved to accept the resignation of Danielle Birch as 7-12 math teacher. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson recommended Hannah Sucha for the fourth grade position. Gragert moved to hire Hannah Sucha as the fourth grade teacher for 18-19. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- After interviewing candidates, the math job was offered to Ashley Fiedler. Fanta moved to hire Ashley Fiedler for the 7-12 math position. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson distributed a list of certificated staff and teaching assignments for the next school year. Hanefeldt moved to accept the teaching assignments listed by Superintendent Thompson for the 18-19 school year. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Summer school will be offered again this year to students who qualify for Title services. The program will run two weeks in June and one in July. Hanefeldt moved to approve Kim Lemke and Teresa Kuhl as summer school teachers. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The school will offer driver’s education this summer. The finance committee will determine the price and instructor pay later this month. Fanta moved to hire Joe Pfanstiel as the driver’s education instructor for this summer. Gragert seconded the motion. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The state has mandated that all schools have policy 510.01, Pregnant and Parenting Students, in place by May 1. Gragert moved to add policy 510.01 to the policy manual and to waive the second reading. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Kuhlman gave a report on the McDowell committee meeting held last Friday. The committee reviewed the applicants and recommended to give the current graduates $2,000 and past grads $2,000 with the option of taking up to $3,000. Both awards will be done in two payments. Kuhlman moved to award the current graduates $2,000 and the past graduates $2,000, with the option of taking up to $3,000, in two equal payments. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 5-0. Gragert abstain. Motion Carried. J. There were no NASB workshops acted on at this time.
The following bills were paid:
At 9:07 p.m., President Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, March 12, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary