Minutes- May 14, 2018
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on May 14, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Tim Gragert, Greg Kuhlman, Duane Fanta, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Fanta moved to excuse Farnik. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried.
Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Greg Kuhlman.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
Fanta moved to approve the monthly financials. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried. Gragert moved to approve the April Regular Board Meeting minutes with the addition of the written McDowell Committee report from April 6th. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried. Gragert moved to approve policies 902.04, 1006.10, and 508.13 with revisions. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson stated that the new camera system is almost completely installed. The new HVAC system will include some annuals fees for upkeep. Thompson signed contracts with Engineered Controls for $1713 to provide software updates and database protection on the facility management system and Nalco Water for $700 per month or $8400 per year to provide chemicals and services to maintain water conditions in the system. Twelve kindergarteners, twelve junior kindergarteners, and thirteen preschoolers are signed up for next fall. Elementary teachers will have an inservice on the new reading series next week.
- Principal Nilson shared that the TeamMates program has received two grants. The golf team qualified for state, as well as five athletes in track. The variety show was well attended. The school improvement team met with Rhonda Jindra from ESU 1 in April.
- President Morrill indicated that graduation was held on Saturday, May 12, 2018 with 27 students receiving diplomas. She also shared the NASB monthly update with the board and noted the upcoming conferences board members may like to attend.
The policy committee met on April 26th in the Elementary Library and according to Committee Chair Dixie Hanefeldt the entire policy manual has been reviewed. Superintendent Thompson is working on updating the table of contents and getting all revised policies in each of the members Policy Manuals.
The finance committee met on April 24th as reported by Greg Kuhlman, committee chair. After discussion and a review of expenses, the finance committee recommends an increase in the driver’s education fee from $225 to $250. They also recommended a 2.5% increase in wages for non-certificated staff.
Copies of all reports are available at the office with the official minutes.
- There was no correspondence.
- President Morrill read Sue Doerr’s resignation letter. Fanta moved to approve the resignation of Sue Doerr. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried. We are currently advertising the position.
- The finance committee recommended a 2.5% increase for noncertificated staff. Gragert move to approve the 2.5% wage increase for the listed noncertificated staff as recommended Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
- Fanta moved to approve Kay Morrill’s registration to the School Law Seminar on June 15. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 7:28 p.m., President Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, June 11, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary