Minutes- April 12, 2021
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on April 12, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Fanta called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. He announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Duane Fanta, Matt Fritz, Greg Kuhlman, Amy Borgmann, and Toni Tauber. Fritz moved to excuse the absence of Dixie Hanefeldt. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Kuhlman moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Tauber. RCV: 5-0. Hanefeldt excused. Motion Carried.
Amber Fritz addressed the board during public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson shared that the district used the first round of ESSERS money on PPE, technology, and buses. The second rounds will be used for technology, buses, rug extractor, etc. The safety committee attended two days of training last week. He shared legislative bills that are currently being debated. He also explained the process the district follows when a complaint is made to the Department of Education.
- Principal Nilson shared the participation numbers for spring sports. NSCAS testing begins this week and will run through the beginning of May. He served on two different accreditation teams and will bring the information back our school improvement team. Graduation is scheduled for May 8th at 2:00.
- President Fanta reported on the President’s Retreat and NRCSA Spring Conference he attended.
- The building and grounds committee met and reviewed summer projects such as painting, purchasing more gravel for the parking lot, and replacing the bathrooms under the football bleachers. The planning and development committee met and recommends wearing mask through the remainder of the school year. Fanta found out that the board cannot conduct a survey of SPED parents.
- There was no correspondence.
Fritz asked to pull out the KSB School Law bills. Borgmann moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financials, excluding the KSB bills, and the March board minutes. Seconded by Tauber. RCV: 5-0. Hanefeldt excused. Motion Carried. Fritz shared that he should abstain on KSB Law bills due to conflict of interest. Kuhlman moved to approve the KSB School Law bills. Seconded by Tauber. RCV: 4-0. Kuhlman – yes, Tauber – yes, Borgmann – yes, Fanta – yes, Fritz – abstain. Hanefeldt was excused. Motion Carried.
- Fritz moved to approve the hiring of Christopher Bode as a PE/social science teacher and head football coach for the 2021-2022 school year. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Hanefeldt excused. Motion Carried.
- Teacher contracts were offered and returned. Kuhlman moved to ratify the teacher contracts for the 2021-2022 school year. Seconded by Tauber. RCV: 5-0. Hanefeldt excused. Motion Carried.
- Kuhlman shared the McDowell report. Fritz moved to approve the McDowell trust recipients with current graduates receiving $2,000 payable over two semesters and past graduates receiving $3,000, payable in one payment. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Hanefeldt excused. Motion Carried.
- Borgmann moved to approve Mr. Pfanstiel as the summer driver’s education instructor at a cost of $265.00 per student. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 5-0. Hanefeldt excused. Motion Carried.
- There are no upcoming NASB/NRCSA conferences.
The following bills were paid.
At 7:42 p.m., Tauber moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 5-0. Hanefeldt excused. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, May 10, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary