MInutes- June 8, 2020
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on June 8, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Duane Fanta, Dixie Hanefeldt, Matt Fritz, Amy Borgmann, and Greg Kuhlman. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Fritz moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson said the roof should be completed around the first of August. He has been working with the lawyer on revamping the classified and extra duty contracts and adding an addendum dealing with a pandemic. Several summer maintenance projects have already been completed. He is continuously monitoring the current situation as plans are made for the next school year.
- Principal Nilson shared that the weight room is currently open. Graduation will be held on the football field on Saturday. The schedules for next year are almost finished.
- Board President Morrill shared a needs analysis worksheet to assist committees as they prepare to make a recommendation to the board and a template for committee meeting reports. She also went over upcoming committee work for June.
- The Building and Grounds committee met to review the bid from Johnson’s Heating and Air Conditioning on a HVAC unit for the multipurpose room. After change orders, the final cost of the unit will be $62,748.00. In order to fulfill the bus contract, the committee also recommended paying Creighton Bus Service $24,000 for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. The Planning and Development committee also met in May to discuss 2:30 dismissal on Fridays, graduation, and strategic planning.
- There was no correspondence.
Fanta moved to approve the consent agenda which included the May Minutes, June financial reports, and the annual review of the Bullying Prevention Policy 504.20. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Borgmann moved to offer the twelve month classified contracts. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Fanta moved to approve the roof payment to RaDec Construction for $342,887.69. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The meeting was opened for public comment for the annual review of the Parental Involvement Policy #1005.03. There was no public comment. Borgmann moved to approve the Parental Involvement Policy #1005.03 as written. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Discussion occurred on whether or not to dismiss at 2:30 on Fridays. The board agreed that they all thought the program that Principal NIlson had developed to have teachers spend time meeting with a specific group of students each week to review grades, etc. was a good idea and separated that from the 2:30 out vote. Morrill presented the different options and the result and comments from the public survey. With a 2:30 out, students would still have all classes every day. Kuhlman moved to dismiss at 2:30 p.m. on Fridays for the 2020-2021 school year. Seconded by Fanta. RCV: 5-1 Fritz – yes, Fanta – yes, Hanefeldt – yes, Kuhlman – yes, Morrill – no, Borgmann – yes. Motion Carried.
- The bid from Johnson’s Heating and Air Conditioning for a roof top HVAC unit for the multipurpose room and kitchen was $64,970. Two change orders will decrease the cost to $62,748. Fritz moved to approve the contract from Johnson’s Heating and Air Conditioning for $64,970. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Due to COVID-19 and the electronic education format, the bus contract was modified by both parties to help accommodate the guarantees outlined in the signed contract and to best serve both parties. Kuhlman moved to pay $24,000 to fulfill the bus contract with Creighton Bus Service for the 2019-2020 school year. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Fritz moved to approve Fanta’s and Morrill’s attendance at the NASB meeting on June 30th in Kearney. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:16 p.m., Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, July 13, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary