October 12, 2015 Minutes
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on October 12, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President D. Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Members present: Dan Morrill, Colleen Farnik, Dixie Hanefeldt, Tim Gragert, Kay Morrill, and Gene Suhr.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Dredge, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
D. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Minutes of the September 14, 2015 Meeting: K. Morrill would like to have more information listed in the minutes. She provided a list of suggestions that she would like changed in the September minutes. Discussion was held on the September minutes.
The Financial Reports were reviewed. District expenses: $327,024.99. Gragert moved to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Suhr. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
1. McDowell Update: Jeremy Reisz paid off his loan.
1. Welcome the Patrons & Visitors: Visitors were welcomed. There was no public comment.
2. Principal’s Report: Principal Dredge reported on parent/teacher conferences, stated that MAPS testing was almost completed, and explained that the next two teacher inservices would focus on analyzing data and goal setting with students.
3. Superintendent‘s Report: Superintendent Petersen shared information about an upcoming crisis meeting and shared that Rhonda Jindra from ESU 1 will attend the next board meeting to explain the new AQuESTT school classification system. Superintendent Petersen would like to have Karen Haase come do a board retreat to develop board goals and review board protocol. Board packets will be emailed out and made available at the office for board members on Friday.
4. Presentation by Molly Aschoff, ESU 8 – Distance Learning: A presentation of how the distance learning classroom works was shared by Molly Aschoff of ESU 8 and Dean Boyer of Plainview, who is currently providing two distance learning classes to CCPS. Mr. Boyer is coming over every couple of weeks to teach from Creighton. He discussed aligning the schools schedules in the future. The system can also be used for virtual field trips and meetings.
5. Discuss Last Friday of September Enrollment Numbers: The last Friday in September enrollment number submitted was 84 students.
6. Study Committee Reports: (1.) Bloomfield Meeting - D. Morrill, K. Morrill, and Farnik met with a committee of Bloomfield board members. Minutes from the meeting were shared and a full set of minutes is available at the office. Both schools felt that they need to learn what the patrons want. (2.) Plainview Contact – It was decided by the board to have a similar meeting with Plainview. Discussion was held on survey questions and using an outside source to alleviate bias. (3.) Buildings and Grounds – Minutes from the building and ground committee were shared. (4.) Technology committee minutes were shared. Discussion was held on looking into possible technology infrastructure updates using e-rate funding.
7. Discuss the Development of a Community Outreach Committee: A committee consisting of K. Morrill, Hanefeldt, and D. Morrill will work on putting together a community survey. Possible ways to come up with questions include talking to faculty, a notice in the paper that could be mailed in or a drop box at different locations around town. The board will continue to brainstorm.
8. Discuss 2015-2016 Certified Staff Negotiations: The negotiations committee and the CTA reps met prior to the board meeting and plan to meet again before the November meeting. BCBS rates come out Monday.
9. Review Board Policies 1000-1155: The board reviewed the policies prior to the meeting. The only possible changes were minor gender wordings. Policies 1160 to 3010 will be reviewed in November.
10. Discuss and Act on Delegate Assembly Voting Representation: If the board would like to be able to vote on an issue at the November NASB conference, they must delegate a voting representative.
11. Discuss Personnel: There was no discussion.
12. Act on Option Enrollment (If Necessary): There were none.
13. Act on Delegate Assembly Voting Representative: K. Morrill moved to have D. Morrill be the voting delegate for NASB, seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 8:40 p.m., K. Morrill moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 6-0. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, November 9, 2015, in the high school library at 7:00 p.m.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary