Minutes- March 8, 2021
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on March 8, 2021 at 7:30 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Knox County News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Fanta called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. He announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Duane Fanta, Matt Fritz, Greg Kuhlman, Amy Borgmann, Toni Tauber, and Dixie Hanefeldt. Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Secretary Hoffman and district patrons.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Borgmann moved to approve the agenda, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
Amber Fritz addressed the board during public comment.
- Superintendent Thompson stated the district is advertising for a part time history/part time PE position. Vaccinations are now available for staff. New board member orientation has been completed with Toni Tauber. He also reviewed several new legislative bills that would impact public schools.
- There was no principal’s report.
- President Fanta reported that he will be attending the President’s Retreat on March 14 and 15. He also reviewed committee work that needs to be completed.
- The transportation committee met on March 3 to discuss purchasing additional buses or vans, leasing the bus barn, and having a transportation director.
- Rob Hanger from NRCSA sent correspondence asking to set up a transition meeting for July.
Hanefeldt moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financials, February board minutes, and accepting the resignation from Zac Kliment as a social science teacher. Seconded by Tauber. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Fritz moved to offer to renew Ryon Nilson’s principal contract with a 3.9% raise and no tuition reimbursement. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Kuhlman moved to offer teacher contracts for 2021-2022 as presented. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The personnel committee met and recommended that the classified staff receive 3.5% raises for 2021-2022. Fritz moved to approve classified staff raises of 3.5% for 2021-2022. Seconded by Tauber.
- Superintendent Thompson shared the proposed calendar for 2021-2022. School will begin August 18th and end on May 19th. Hanefeldt moved to approve the 2021-2022 calendar as presented. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Bill Heinmann, ESU 1 administrator, presented on the services the ESU provides and explained the education contract. After some discussion, the board decided to have a committee put together a survey for parents of our special education students to see if they are happy with the services they are being provided. Hanefeldt moved to approve the special education contract with ESU 1 for 2021-2022. Seconded by Kuhlman. RCV: Fanta – yes, Fritz – no, Hanefeldt – yes, Kuhlman – yes, Tauber – yes, Borgmann – yes. 5-1. Motion Carried.
- The transportation committee recommends buying a 63 passenger 2011 International bus from Jim Borgmann for $15,000. The bus would be used as the activity bus and a backup bus for routes. They also asked Superintendent Thompson to look for another 14 passenger bus. Kuhlman moved to purchase the 2011 International bus from Jim Borgmann for $15,000. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- The board viewed a video from NASB about Rule 10.
- Hanefeldt moved to approve Fanta’s registration to the NRSCA Spring Conference on March 25 and 26. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. Hanefeldt moved to approve Tauber and Fritz’s registration to the Budget and Finance Workshop in Norfolk on March 31. Seconded by Borgmann. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid.
At 9:32 p.m., Kuhlman moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Fritz. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, April 12, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary