Minutes- June 11, 2018
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on June 11, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also posted at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary school.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall at the entrance.
Members present: Kay Morrill, Tim Gragert, Greg Kuhlman, Duane Fanta, Dixie Hanefeldt, and Colleen Farnik.
Others Present: Superintendent Thompson, Principal Nilson, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
The pledge of allegiance was said.
Fanta moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
There was no public comment.
Kuhlman made a motion to approve the consent agenda consisting of the monthly financial reports and the May minutes. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
- Superintendent Thompson reported that the elementary teachers received training on the new reading series at an end of the year in-service day. He attended a workshop at the ESU conducted by Phil Warrick on evaluations, instructional models, and grading practices. Interviews for the nurse position will be conducted on Thursday and an ad for para and cook openings will run this week.
- Principal Nilson reported on end of the year activities. CHS hosted a Farm Bureau “AG in the Classroom” session last week. A number of teachers will be attending the Google Summit conference in Sioux Falls this week. He also shared student numbers for the industrial technology classes for this fall.
- President Morrill shared the NASB June update with the board. The NASB is surveying board members weekly as they prepare for the Legislative Committee meeting in July and she encourages board members to complete the questions. There will be a candidate forum for potential board members in Wayne in July.
The building and grounds committee met and conducted a walk through of the building. Some of the items they discussed included gym acoustics, painting the multi-purpose room, tuck-pointing the brick mortar joints on the outside of the facility, and getting bids for air conditioning in the elementary gym and multi-purpose room. Superintendent Thompson is working on getting bids and recommendations about what to do with the track. They also discussed getting underground sprinklers to replace the current volume gun for the football field.
Copies of all reports are available at the office with the official minutes.
- There was no correspondence.
- Discussion occurred on putting underground sprinklers on the football field and inside the track. The current volume gun needs to be replaced and an estimated replacement cost would be between seven to ten thousand dollars. The Building and Grounds Committee received a bid from Superior Turf Management and plan to more bids before proceeding. The school does have their own well for watering
- Two superintendent evaluations need to be completed during a superintendent’s first year. The board completed the evaluation electronically prior to the meeting. President Morrill will review the evaluation with Superintendent Thompson and the board will discuss the evaluation in July. Superintendent Thompson is working on three transition goals. The policy book is being updated online, work is being done on preparing
- Per state statute, the bullying policy needs to be reviewed every year. The board adopted a new bullying policy in December and reviewed the policy again at the meeting.
- The NASB will be
conducting a school law seminar in Kearney on June 15 and a new candidate forum in Wayne on July 23. Superintendent Thompson and Kay Morrill will be attending the school law seminar and Kay will get information to Amy Borgmann about the new candidate forum being held for those on the school board ballot in November.
The following bills were paid:
At 7:38 p.m., President Morrill adjourned the meeting. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, July 9, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary