July 13, 2015 Minutes
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on July 13, 2015 at 6:30 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Members present: Dan Morrill, Gene Suhr, Colleen Farnik, Dixie Hanefeldt, Kay Morrill, and Tim Gragert.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Dredge, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Minutes of the June 8, 2015 Meeting: K. Morrill questioned the following motion (to include cash-in-lieu for classified staff in the staff policy handbook) made on June 8th. K. Morrill would like the board to review this motion to make it more specific.
Approval of Agenda: K. Morrill moved to approve the agenda as presented, seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
The Financial Reports were reviewed. District expenses: $395,038.08. K. Morrill moved to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Gragert. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
1. McDowell Update: The McDowell report was reviewed.
1. Welcome the Patrons & Visitors: Visitors were welcomed.
2. Review Correspondence: Thank you notes were received from Taylor Carstens and Connor Baldwin for the Erwin McDowell Trust.
3. Superintendent‘s Report: Superintendent Petersen updated the board on new superintendent meetings that she has attended and will be attending.
4. President of Board of Education Report: President D. Morrill read a letter that he received from Plainview Superintendent Alt stating that Plainview is not longer an active participant in the five school study.
5. Discuss ESU #1 Email Accounts for School Business: Superintendent Petersen shared information with the board on how to obtain ESU email addresses to conduct school business.
6. Discuss Search for School Legal Council: The board gave Superintendent Petersen permission to search for legal council that specializes in school law.
7 Hear a Report on State Accreditation: Superintendent Petersen reported that Creighton is accredited with the Nebraska Department of Education for the 2015-2016 school year.
8. Hear a Report from the Study Committee: Attendees reported on the five school study committee meeting that was held in Osmond on July 8th.
9. Discuss Personnel: Superintendent Petersen reported that we will need to hire additional para-professionals due to personnel moving and new students moving to the district.
10. Act to Appoint Superintendent as District Rep. for State and Federal Reports: Gragert moved to appoint Superintendent Petersen as the district representative for state and federal reports. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
11. Discuss and Act on Applying for a School Credit Card through Midwest Bank: Suhr moved to approve the Superintendent applying for a school credit card. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
12. Act on Student Handbooks (High School, Elementary, Activities): Farnik moved to approve the 2015-2016 high school, elementary, and activity handbooks. Gragert seconded the motion. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
13. Act on Teacher Handbook: Suhr moved to approve the 2015-2016 teacher handbook. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
14. Act on Ipad Handbook: K. Morrill moved to approve the Ipad handbook for 2015-2016. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried.
15. Set Date for Recall Election for Board President Dan Morrill: Gragert moved to approve August 18th as the recall election date for Board President Dan Morrill. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. D. Morrill abstained. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 6:56 p.m., Gragert moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Farnik. RCV: 6-0. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, August 10th, 2015, in the high school library at 6:30 p.m.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary