August 10, 2015 Minutes
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on August 10, 2015 at 6:30 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President Morrill called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Members present: Dan Morrill, Dixie Hanefeldt, Kay Morrill, Gene Suhr, and Colleen Farnik. Tim Gragert was excused.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Dredge, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Minutes of the July 13, 2015 Meeting: No changes were made.
The Financial Reports were reviewed. District expenses: $331,986.88. Suhr moved to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
1. McDowell Update: The McDowell report was reviewed.
1. Welcome the Patrons & Visitors: Visitors were welcome. Jim Fuchtman addressed the board on agenda Item F (Hear a Report Concerning Study Committee).
2. Review Correspondence: A thank you note was received from Jessica Gragert for the McDowell Trust.
3. Principal’s Report: Principal Dredge reported on Administrator Days, an ESU data workshop, and a principal’s meeting that she attended.
4. Superintendent‘s Report: Superintendent Petersen invited the board to a staff meet and greet, shared information about a potential new school attorney, and listed some future meetings she will be attending.
5. President of Board of Education Report: President D. Morrill stated that the school looks ready to go for another year.
6. Hear a Report on Building and Grounds: Superintendent Petersen updated the board on completed summer projects.
7 Hear a Report on 15-16 Budget Timeline: The 15-16 budget is currently being worked on and valuations will be released on August 20.
8. Set Date and Time for Personnel & Finance Committee Meeting: The committee will meet on Monday, August 31 at 7:00 a.m.
9. Hear a Report on Enrollment Projection: Superintendent Petersen reported that current enrollment numbers including preschool are 301.
10. Discuss School Homepage: A district tab has been created on the webpage and has all the board agendas and minutes on it.
11. Hear a Report Concerning Study Committee: Superintendent Petersen shared that Wausa had withdrawn from the 4-school study. Bloomfield, Osmond, and Creighton will plan to hold a committee meeting on Sept. 23rd at Bloomfield. The board members expressed input in regard to future committee work.
12. Discuss Personnel: Superintendent Petersen stated that three paras were hired to fill our student needs this year.
13. Act on Option Enrollments: There were none.
14. Act on Proposed Bus Routes: Farnik moved to approve the three bus routes as presented. Seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried.
15. Set Date for Special Board Meeting: The board will meet on Tuesday, August 25th at noon to pay end of year bills.
The following bills were paid:
At 7:22 p.m., K. Morrill moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. Gragert excused. Motion Carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, September 14, 2015, in the high school library at 6:40 p.m.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary