Minutes May 9, 2016
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Creighton Community School District No. 13 was held on May 9, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by publication in the Creighton News, as shown by the Affidavit of Publication attached to the minutes. Notice was also hung at the City Offices, front door of the high school, and front door of the elementary.
Notice of the meeting was simultaneously sent to all the members and a copy of their acknowledgment and receipt of notice and agenda is attached to these minutes. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the advance notice as was the notice to the members of this meeting. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while the convened meeting was opened to the attendance of the public. The agenda for the meeting is attached and incorporated into these minutes.
President D. Morrill called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Members present: Dan Morrill, Tim Gragert, Kay Morrill, Dixie Hanefeldt, and Gene Suhr. Gragert moved to excuse Colleen Farnik due to work obligations. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried.
Others Present: Superintendent Petersen, Principal Dredge, Secretary Hoffman, and district patrons.
D. Morrill announced that the Open Meeting Laws Act Poster was displayed on the wall.
Minutes of the April 11, 2016 Meeting: Suhr moved to approve the board minutes as written, seconded by K. Morrill. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
The Financial Reports were reviewed. District expenses: $361,406.10. The McDowell report was reviewed. Suhr moved to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
1. Welcome the Patrons & Visitors: Visitors were welcomed. Connie Wagner explained that she would like to see the school calendar changed so students got out earlier in May without so many breaks. Mitch Nelson spoke on behalf of the boys basketball parents as to why Ryon Nilson should remain as the boys basketball coach. Noah Lilly spoke on behalf of the boys basketball teams to show their support for Mr. Nilson remaining as the head basketball coach.
2. Correspondence: There was no correspondence.
3. Superintendent Report: Superintendent Petersen reported that the preschool playground needs to be made handicapped accessible. She will work with the state for ideas and funding options. The title one annual parents meeting will be held on Wednesday.
4. Principal Report: Principal Dredge reported that the school year is quickly winding down and that Honor’s Day and graduation are behind us. MAPS testing should be completed next week and the elementary track meet is Wednesday. LeAnn Pierce, Austin Diedrichsen, and Zac Hazen presented on an opportunity that they (along with Claire Fanta) had to go to the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting in Omaha.
5. Board of Education Report: The year is quickly winding down and recent activities have gone well.
6. Winter Coaching Assignments: Superintendent Petersen recommended that we continue with Ryon Nilson for head boys basketball, Chase Meier as junior high and assistant boys basketball, Kyle Kibbie as head girls basketball, Danielle Wagner as assistant girls basketball and Zac Kliment as head wrestling. Zac Kliment will also become the head track coach. No motion was needed as no changes were made.
7. Hear a Report on Extra Duty Assignments: Superintendent Petersen reported that we need to fill the one act, speech, and yearbook positions.
8. Hear Report from Committee Work: The personnel committee met with Superintendent Petersen in April concerning non certified staff wages. Since we didn’t receive any lunch program bids, more work needs to be done on these contracts. We now qualify for the PPACA requirements due to a higher worker FTE. The community outreach committee reported that the survey is going out and that results will be tabulated on a google doc. Superintendent Petersen is continuing to work on the HVAC system bid process, etc with the building committee, the attorney, and a local superintendent who just completed the process. An updated building and grounds sheet was reviewed. Playground updates need to be added.
9. Discuss and Act on Personnel: The science position has been offered to Chase Maier. Gragert moved to ratify the contract of the Chase Maier. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
10. Discuss and Hand Out Superintendent Evaluation Document: The evaluation document was given to board members. The document needs to be returned to the board president by June 5th so that it can be compiled and discussed at the June meeting.
11. Discuss the Lunch Program: We did not have any lunch providers attend the RFP meeting at the end of April. Lunchtime Solutions replied that they would have to charge $4.50 a meal in order to participate and that is not reasonable for anyone. Ads have been placed in the Norfolk and O’Neill shoppers and the Creighton News for a head cook.
12. Discuss and Act on CJUMP (Interlocal Agreement): CJUMP is a service offered by the NASB to purchase natural gas. There is no cost to our district to participate. Hanefeldt moved that Creighton participate in the CJUMP Interlocal Agreement. Seconded by Gragert. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
13. Act on 2016-2017 Nursing Contract (Cooperative Agreement): Sue Doerr will work the same number of days next year. She will get a two percent increase and would like to attend a workshop in Kearney each year, which would average out to a three percent increase. Gragert moved to accept the interlocal nursing contract with a two percent increase for Sue Doerr for the 2016-2017 school year. Seconded by Suhr. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
14. Act on 2016-2017 Business Manager Contract: Suhr moved to offer the 2016-2017 business manager position to Jennifer Hoffman with a three percent increase. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
15. Act on 2016-2017 Custodial Contracts: Gragert moved to offer the 2016-2017 custodial contracts to Joel Schwartz and Mike Costello with a three percent increase. Seconded by Suhr. Farnik excused. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried.
16. Act on Bus Contract: The transportation committee has been working with Jim Borgmann to finalize a contract for next year. They have drawn up a one year contract at a 13% increase for next year. A two year contract was not an option, at this time, due to concerns with Mr. Borgmann finding bus drivers. Hanefeldt moved to offer the bus contract to Jim Borgmann for the 2016-2017 school year. Seconded by Gragert. Farnik excused. RCV: 5-0. Motion Carried.
17. Act on NASB Workshop Attendance: There is a school law seminar in Kearney on June 10 if any board members are interested. K. Morrill may be able to go. Gragert moved to approve K. Morrill attending the school law seminar. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried. We will look into getting the NASB Reporter sent to board members. Hanefeldt said that she is glad that K. Morrill likes to attend the conferences and that she feels bad that she reimbursed the school and would like that reversed. D. Morrill stated that the intention never was to have anyone reimburse the school, just to begin following policy. Hanefeldt moved to have all past attendance fees for school board training/workshops be retroactively approved. Gragert seconded the motion. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion Carried.
The following bills were paid:
At 7:57 p.m., Gragert moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Hanefeldt. RCV: 5-0. Farnik excused. Motion carried. The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be held on Monday, June13, 2016, at 7:00 p.m. in the high school library.
Jennifer Hoffman, Secretary